[Peace-discuss] we are here to help you

Corey Mattson coreymattson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 17:12:52 CDT 2011

How we define 'fascism' is determined by our political ideology and agenda,
of course. I disagree with this formation for the following reasons ---

1. What's left out here is the context in which a Fascist movement develops.
It is a top-down, authoritarian response to smash popular forces of working
people and their institutions, supported by big business. Big business sees
a threat to the capitalist system and its functioning, so it needs to get
rid of its opposition. Labor unionists and working-class political parties
were attacked early on in Italy and Germany.

2. Also left out is that under Fascism, there is a fusion between big
business and the state. From what he says, Noam Chomsky thinks that this is
the single-most important facet of fascism.

3. Top-down "planning" is an element, I think, because big business finds it
necessary to keep the capitalist system afloat. They become the top-down
planners because they become the state. (But, I think it should be said that
capitalism always requires planning and would be unstable and eventually
collapse without it. The free market is a myth. ... And planning is
planning, whether it occurs in government or in corporate and bank
boardrooms. ....Whether under capitalism or some other social system, our
struggles should be over who controls "planning," where it should be
restricted, and making it democratic and accountable in democratic
institutions. But the formation given by Flynn includes opposing "planning"
that is progressive and democratic, and necessary.)

4. That a Fascist government is totalitarian and led by a Bonapartist (as
the most effective way to do it) seems obvious given that it is led by big
business, needs to overcome popular forces, and steps in to solve a crisis
for the capitalist system.

--- Corey