[Peace-discuss] The Responsibility of Intellectuals, Redux

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 9 10:25:03 CDT 2011

[It is a great piece, as was the original, many years ago.  Last year Chomsky
answered a question form a journalist as follows. --CGE]

Q. Finally, why have you criticised the formula 'to speak truth to power,' which
was used by the late Edward Said to describe the role of intellectuals?

A. That's actually a Quaker slogan, and I like the Quakers and I do a lot of
things with them, but I don't agree with the slogan. First of all, you don't
have to speak truth to power, because they know it already. And secondly, you
don't speak truth to anybody, that's too arrogant. What you do is join with
people and try to find the truth, so you listen to them and tell them what you
think and so on, and you try to encourage people to think for themselves.

The ones you are concerned with are the victims, not the powerful, so the slogan
ought to be to engage with the powerless and help them and help yourself to find
the truth. It's not an easy slogan to formulate in five words, but I think it's
the right one.