[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] Re: Local rep. right about war...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 29 19:48:10 CDT 2011

As to being a single-issue voter, Mike, I suppose it's clear that the
two most important things the federal government does - in order - are
(1) kill people and (2) transfer wealth from the majority to the rich.

The Obama administration has proved itself even more brutal and
efficient at those tasks than its predecessor. It has expanded six
wars in the Mideast and has conducted a good-cop/bad-cop charade on
government spending with the Republicans to attack social supports.
And the beneficiaries of Obama's policies are the tiny American
economic elite, whose wealth has increased at an accelerating rate,
even after the financial crisis of 2007-2009.

But our Republican member of Congress, after voting for the invasions
of Afghanistan and Iraq, announced publicly that he was wrong - and
now votes consistently against any more money for killing people in
the Mideast. And he commendably voted against Obama's mendacious debt
deal.

Surely, in what purports to be a representative democracy, it's more
important to get the right (non-lethal) vote than a delegate with a
pure motive, if we have to choose. Tim may indeed often do the right
deed for the wrong reason. He has for example repeated the debt and
deficit malarkey peddled by both parties. I'd certainly prefer a
Congressman who knew that the deficit is a chimera used to scare
Americans into accepting the government's austerity program. (Wealth
is so concentrated in America that an emergency tax of 15% on
investible assets over $1 million would make the deficit disappear  -
and 99% of American would not be subject to the tax.) But none of his
potential opponents know that, either.

Nevertheless Johnson has voted correctly - against both the wars and
the debt deal.  He should be supported for re-election against any
opponent who would not clearly do the same.

Regards, CGE