[Peace-discuss] full metal phantom

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Apr 2 04:23:51 UTC 2012

I downloaded and watched Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket the other day.  Not
a movie one watches
with the family unless you want Alice and Ellie pacing the hallways
singing salty Duckworth chants
about estimations of Inuit molecular energies but a great movie nonetheless.

I had seen the movie before back in the 80's and found resonance with
the anti-war message
but hadn't thought about it much beyond that.  The internet provides
access to a lot of info.

I found out that the movie was based on a book "The Short-Timers" by
Gustav Hasford.
I find out that Gus is dead but one of his relatives maintains a website
about him and
his stuff, like the original script for Full Metal Jacket and other
triviabilia.
Hasford's books are out of print, but they are all available online at
his website.

http://www.gustavhasford.com/home.htm

"The Phantom Blooper" is a sequel to "The Short Timers" and has some
very interesting
quotations and insights.  Hasford thought that his books would become
popular
after the success of the movie, and he could use the books as a platform
for
dissemination of his ideas, but that popularity never materialized.
"The Phantom
Blooper" is laced with pithy quotables.

http://www.gustavhasford.com/phantom.html

*"/Chien Si My/, why do your armymen go ten thousand miles from home to
live a helluva life and to die on this land?  This country is not
yours.  We do no harm to your homeland.  Why have you come here to kill
our men and women and destroy our homeland?"*
*    I don't know what to say.*
*    The printer continues:  "You cannot defeat us.  You do not even
know who we are.  You cannot even see us.  Your country lives inside a
dream and tries to kill anything outside of the dream, but we live in
the real world, so you cannot kill us.  We have fought for twenty years
and we will fight on until weare victorious, until we have freedom. Just
as your forefathers did two hundred years ago.  Uncle Ho began the
Vietnamese Declaration of Independence by quoting the American
Declaration of Independence:  'All men are created equal, that they are
endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, and that among
these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.'  American armymen
no longer fight to protect their liberty but to steal ours. /Chien Si
My,/ how did your great and heroic country lose its greatness and allow
itself to be taken over by gangsters?"*

*
Hasford also wrote a letter to the LA Times on the 5th anniversary of
the Vietnam War- here is an excerpt:

*...Hawks hate the Vietnam veterans for being a candy-ass who couldn't
get the job done; those World War II boys won their war and didn't whine
about how tough it was, either.  Doves hate the Vietnam veteran because,
in their view, each and every one routinely slaughtered helpless
civilians, especially babies.*
*    America's breast is a milkless stone, and she demands heroes from
her sons.  A recent Harris poll shows that 63% of the American people
feel that Vietnam veterans "were made suckers, having to risk their
lives in the wrong place at the wrong time."  Vietnam veterans probably
will in fact go down in history as "suckers," but we fall from glory
alongside the nation that bred us, because a country that degrades,
stigmatizes and humiliates its young for committing the heinous crime of
steadfast loyalty can no longer be trusted or taken seriously by
anyone.  Even animals protect their young.*
*    What have I learned about Vietnam from the federal government?  I
have learned, for one thing, that politics is a ballet of devils, and
that politicians, with paper roses falling out of their mouths, cannot
conceal the blood from distant wounds that stains their neckties--but
they do try, and millions do listen and believe, and choose not to see.*
*    Vietnam, in my opinion, never ended.  Peace is only a continuation
of hypocrisy by other means, just as Watergate, for example, was a
continuation of Vietnam by other means.*
*    Now, five years after the last American soldier left the soil of
Vietnam, the sum of our added knowledge is small.  Smug in our apathy,
few of us would take time to admit that today's problems might in some
way be related to the war in Vietnam.*
*    Our refusal to face our Vietnam experience honestly has meant that
the national nightmare of Vietnam continues to poison this country's
sense of itself, and that refusal postpones the needed reckoning with
our own dark history as well.*
*    Today, I talk to the 19-year-old children who will soon be dead in
the Oil Wars (to them Vietnam is some kind of Chinese breakfast food),
and their face-value acceptance of what the government has defined as
their patriotic duty puts a cold chord of fear and helplessness into my
gut that is not unlike Daniel Ellsberg's response to the death of Robert
Kennedy--total impotence in the face of unbridled ruthlessness.*
*    Recently I have been investigating the possibilities of living in
Australia.  Perhaps someday the survivors of America will come back and
will build log cabins in the streets.  At least, as Hemingway said, it's
pretty to think so.*
*    Meanwhile, I ask you to join me in celebrating the fifth
anniversary of the final withdrawal of the United States from Southeast
Asia with a degree of pageantry and excitement comparable to that we all
enjoyed during Vietnam Veterans' Week--by popping open a cold can of
beer and raising a toast:  "Here's to the good old days, when we knew
who our enemies were and were sanctioned by society to deal with them
accordingly.  Here's to the good old days."*
*    Goodbye, America.  And goodbye to Vietnam and the friends who died
for nothing.*