[Peace-discuss] Local Congressional representative & war

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Thu Apr 5 00:09:47 UTC 2012

"Johnson's unexpected decision to retire, first reported on Wednesday
by Illinois-based Capitol Fax, was confirmed by two senior Republican
officials, including one House leadership aide. The news even caught
local GOP officials in Johnson’s Champaign County by surprise.

"Telephone calls and messages to Johnson’s Washington and district
offices were not returned.

First elected in 2000, the 65-year-old Johnson has over the years
displayed some maverick -- and unconventional -- tendencies. He bucked
the Republican administration on the war in Iraq, and was one of 17
House Republicans in early 2007 who voted for a resolution opposing
President Bush’s troop “surge” plan. In June 2008, he cited the impact
on civil liberties when he was the only Republican to vote against
renewal of the law to permit a secret court to approve intelligence
surveillance, which the House passed 293-129."