[Peace-discuss] It's clear it'll be a back-room deal...

C. G. Estabrook CGE at shout.net
Thu Apr 5 01:29:58 UTC 2012

“The successor for that spot will be chosen in an open, fair and
transparent process pursuant to our rules and the Election Code,”
Brady said. “I’m going to start working on that immediately...”

State GOP leader: Johnson won't run again, party to seek replacement
By BERNARD SCHOENBURG (bernard.schoenburg at sj-r.com)
The State Journal-Register
Posted Apr 04, 2012 @ 06:59 PM

U.S. Rep. Tim Johnson, R-Urbana, is apparently poised to remove
himself from the November ballot, which would allow GOP leaders to
name a candidate to replace him.
“I can confirm it,” Pat Brady, chairman of the Illinois GOP, told The
State Journal-Register. “Everybody’s told me it’s true.”

“The successor for that spot will be chosen in an open, fair and
transparent process pursuant to our rules and the Election Code,”
Brady said. “I’m going to start working on that immediately.”

The Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette reported this afternoon that Johnson
has scheduled a 3 p.m. news conference in Urbana Thursday, where he is
expected to announce he is leaving Congress after completion of his
current term.

Johnson, a member of Congress since 2001, on March 20 breezed to
victory in a three-way GOP primary in the new 13th Congressional
District, which includes much of Springfield.

The Democratic contest in that district was much closer, with Election
Day returns showing a 143-vote advantage for David Gill, a Bloomington
emergency room doctor who has run against Johnson three times before,
over Greene County State’s Attorney Matt Goetten.

Michael Richards, spokesman for Gill, said today that late-arriving
absentee ballots in the district have added to that lead, which
Richards now put at 173.

Richards had only heard news reports of the possibility that Johnson
would drop off the November ballot after winning the primary.

If that is the case, Richards said, “It’s certainly undemocratic of
the Republican Party to take the choice of the candidate away from the
voters. … If  Tim Johnson thought maybe he didn’t want to serve
another term, he shouldn’t have run.”

http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x826300048/State-GOP-leader-Johnson-wont-run-again-party-to-seek-replacement