[Peace-discuss] Kathy Kelly and the 04.15.12 drone protest in Missouri

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 18 03:26:18 UTC 2012

Yes...  Wikipedia is wonderful, and someone who edited the page for
Kathy Kelly mentions:

Nomination by 1976 Nobel laureate Mairead Maguire for the 2002 Nobel
Peace Prize.^[31] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Kelly#cite_note-30>
      The citation is to a newsletter of the Society of American
Archivists (cheers for archivists!),
      reporting that Marquette University had in 2007 acquired the
records of Voices in the Wilderness.
      The mention that Kelly had been nominated by Maguire, and by two
other (unnamed) people,
      is said to have appeared in Kelly's personal papers.

The wikipedia page also refers to a 2003 Yahoo.com news article,
http://www.stopcapitalpunishment.org/coverage/151.html
which describes the conditions for nomination, mentions that the nominators
don't have to remain silent even though the committee does, and mentions
Kelly's name as an "unconfirmed" nominee.

Presumably a skeptic could go to Marquette and find the original.

But, why?  Do you want Kathy Kelly's birth certificate, too?  Haven't we
better things to question than this?

Here's one.  Today Democracy Now interviewed a Norwegian man in
Minneapolis whose granddaughter survived Anders Brevik's attack.
Asked what he thought of Breivik, of the trial, etc., he had a lovely
meta-response.  He pointed out that media descriptions of Breivik
focused on his psychology, when he did and didn't weep, and so on.

But, said the man, he saw another parallel which "made him unpopular in
Norway": that the same state of mind that led Breivik, the mass
murderer, to kill Muslims in Norway, also led the Norwegian government
to kill civilians in Afghanistan under the NATO occupation.

That's the kind of parallel that Kelly would see, too.  But how many
times have you heard such a connection made with respect to this
tragedy?  I haven't.  Amy Goodman didn't seem to have, either -- it put
her off her stride.
<http://www.stopcapitalpunishment.org/coverage/151.html>
I think that's a 'way better question.

    Stuart