[Peace-discuss] Fw: CoC members speak, corporations listen, ALEC retreats

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 15:43:29 UTC 2012

CoC gets results!

--- On Sat, 4/21/12, Rashad Robinson, ColorOfChange.org <info at colorofchange.org> wrote:

From: Rashad Robinson, ColorOfChange.org <info at colorofchange.org>
Subject: CoC members speak, corporations listen, ALEC retreats
To: "Jenifer Cartwright" <jencart13 at yahoo.com>
Date: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 8:16 AM

Major companies are leaving ALEC in response to our campaign
Can you help us keep going? Here are 2 more things you can do:
1. Share the petition on Twitter or Facebook.
2. Chip in $3, $10 or more to fund the campaign.

Dear Jenifer,
You and thousands of other ColorOfChange members are making a huge impactin our campaign urging corporations to stop supporting the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). We want to give you a quick update on our progress and let you know how you can help.
Major companies are leaving ALEC in response to our campaign. After hearing from us about ALEC's work spreading laws which suppress the Black vote — and ALEC's link to the "shoot first" law used to justify the killing of Trayvon Martin — companies including Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Kraft,1 McDonald's,2 Mars,3 and Yum Brands4(which owns KFC and Taco Bell) have all stopped supporting ALEC.
Two weeks ago, news broke that several corporations had left ALEC in response to our campaign, and we've been working hard to convince more companies to follow suit. ColorOfChange members have made thousands of phone calls to companies that refuse to leave ALEC, and we've shone a spotlight on these corporations in the media.
It's working. A steady stream of big companies has continued to leave ALEC — at least 12 have now stopped funding ALEC's dangerous agenda.5 Our campaign has been covered by major news outlets including NPR,6,7 CNN,8,9 MSNBC,10,11,12 the Washington Post,13 Time,14 the Associated Press,15 Reuters,16 the New York Times,17 Current TV18 and Democracy Now.19 Meanwhile, Fox News20 and other right wing media outlets have attacked us as the campaign gains steam. And ALEC is retreating — this week they announced that they are ending their "Public Safety & Elections Task Force" — the committee within ALEC that was responsible for discriminatory voter ID and "shoot first" laws.21ALEC is saying they will only focus on "economic" work moving forward.
We've forced ALEC to admit that much of its agenda is simply indefensible, and that's a testament to the power of everyday people to hold corporations and organizations like ALEC accountable. But ALEC's latest move is a PR stunt to try to stop their corporate donors from leaving. We have no reason to believe ALEC when they say they won't continue working to disenfranchise voters. And we know that ALEC's so-called "economic" work consists of policies designed to benefit rich and powerful corporations at the expense of people of color,22,23 workers,24 and the environment.25 Many major corporations are continuing to fund that toxic agenda.
It's incredibly inspiring what we've been able to achieve together so far. With your help, we can do even more. Here are two more ways you can help right now:

Encourage your friends and family to sign the petition. You can post the petition to Twitter by clicking here; to post on Facebook click here.

Chip in $3, $10, or whatever you can afford to help fund this campaign. The more resources we have to support this campaign, the more we can take advantage of the amazing momentum we have. We'll use your contribution to expand our outreach to corporations, continue our media work, and run ads calling out companies that refuse to leave ALEC. Click here to help out with a financial contribution.

Our partners and allies have been a huge help in this fight. Members of CREDO Action, People for the American Way, the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, SumOfUs, and United Republic have joined ColorOfChange members in signing petitions and making phone calls to companies that support ALEC. Overall, more than 450,000 people have called on companies to stop funding ALEC. And organizations like the Center for Media and Democracy, the Center for American Progress, Common Cause, and Progress Now have done excellent work to expose ALEC and hold its members accountable.
We hope you'll take a moment to celebrate what we've accomplished so far, and join us in taking this campaign to the next level.
Thanks and Peace,
-- Rashad, Gabriel, Dani, Matt, Natasha, Kim and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team
    April 21st, 2012
Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU—your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don't share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way. You can contribute here:
http://act.colorofchange.org/go/205?akid=2456.394109.Tqjxb9&t=9