[Peace-discuss] Fw: eBay and your right to vote

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 15:55:02 UTC 2012

Color of Change gets results! Pls sign and forward widely?

--- On Fri, 8/17/12, Rashad Robinson, ColorOfChange.org <info at colorofchange.org> wrote:

#yiv1332584537 body, #yiv1332584537 td, #yiv1332584537 font {font-size:10pt;}
#yiv1332584537
#yiv1332584537 td p {margin:0em;}
#yiv1332584537 p {margin:1em 0em;}
#yiv1332584537 td div p {margin:1em 0em;}

Why is eBay still funding a group that has worked to disenfranchise millions?

Call eBay and tell them to stop funding ALEC:

In recent weeks, Walgreens, General Motors, Wal-Mart, MillerCoors and several other major corporations have ended their relationships with ALEC.

But eBay is still funding ALEC. We contacted eBay to make sure they understand that through their membership in ALEC, they supported racially-discriminatory voter ID laws1,2 that have the potential to disenfranchise over 5 million people in the upcoming elections.3 But despite numerous emails and telephone calls, we can't get eBay's management to get back in touch with us. It appears they believe that if they ignore us we'll simply go away.

Will you help us hold eBay accountable for supporting voter suppression? Please take a moment to call eBay and demand that they stop supporting ALEC:

http://act.colorofchange.org/call/eBay/

eBay is a well-known household brand. By associating itself with ALEC, eBay lends legitimacy to a reactionary organization that has worked to undermine voting rights and democracy.

eBay has made a substantial amount of money from Black consumers. But they are placing a hefty membership fee in the hands of a group that has worked to weaken the Black vote.

The ballot box isn't the only place where ALEC's policies are dangerous for Black people. Florida's "Shoot First" law was used to justify the shooting of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old armed only with a pack of Skittles and an iced tea. ALEC turned the Florida "Shoot First" law into a "model" piece of legislation for other states to adopt and they have helped push it into over two dozen states, with it under consideration in eight more.4 The group has also written legislation to impose harsher criminal penalties on juveniles, to privatize education, and to break unions.

eBay's financial support of ALEC must end. Please join us in calling on eBay to disassociate itself from ALEC and stop supporting an agenda that harms Black people and anyone who cares about equality in our democracy. It just takes a minute:

http://act.colorofchange.org/call/eBay/

Thanks and Peace,

-- Rashad, Gabriel, Dani, Matt, Kim and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team
    August 17th, 2012

P.S. We want to acknowledge our partners at CREDO Action, the Center for Media & Democracy, Common Cause, ProgressNow, People for the American Way, the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, and SumOfUs.org who have been doing excellent work to help expose ALEC.
Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU—your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don't share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way. You can contribute here:
http://www.colorofchange.org/donate