[Peace-discuss] hasta la vista, baby.

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 14:25:09 UTC 2012

Whatever the advisability of fighting a war to free the slaves, or whether it was indeed fought for that purpose, the southern elites certainly seceded in order to keep their control over slaves (and poor whites) intact.

DG

>________________________________

parties favored allowing the South to secede in peace. Just about every
major Northern newspaper editorialized in favor of the South's right to
secede. New York Tribune (Feb. 5, 1860): "If tyranny and despotism
justified the Revolution of 1776, then we do not see why it would not
justify the secession of Five Millions of Southrons from the Federal
Union in 1861." Detroit Free Press (Feb. 19, 1861): "An attempt to
subjugate the seceded States, even if successful, could produce nothing
but evil – evil unmitigated in character and appalling in content." The New York Times (March 21, 1861): "There is growing sentiment
throughout the North in favor of letting the Gulf States go."
>There's more evidence seen at the time our Constitution was
ratified. The ratification documents of Virginia, New York and Rhode
Island explicitly said that they held the right to resume powers
delegated, should the federal government become abusive of those
powers. The Constitution would have never been ratified if states
thought that they could not maintain their sovereignty.
>The War of 1861 settled the issue of secession through brute
force that cost 600,000 American lives. Americans celebrate Abraham
Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, but H.L. Mencken correctly evaluated the
speech, "It is poetry, not logic; beauty, not sense." Lincoln said that
the soldiers sacrificed their lives "to the cause of self-determination
– that government of the people, by the people, for the people should
not perish from the earth." Mencken says: "It is difficult to imagine
anything more untrue. The Union soldiers in the battle actually fought
against self-determination; it was the Confederates who fought for the
right of people to govern themselves."