[Peace-discuss] hasta la vista, baby.

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 24 00:37:51 UTC 2012

[I posted the following comment on my fb page in November. It got a number of interesting replies. --CGE]

The US Civil War (1861-5) was a murderous and unnecessary conflict in which a Southern ruling class, who lived by extracting surplus labor from direct producers by means of chattel slavery, were attacked and defeated by a Northern ruling class, who lived by extracting surplus labor from direct producers by means of wage slavery.

"All modes of production in class societies prior to capitalism extract surplus labour from the immediate producers by means of extra-economic coercion. Capitalism is the first mode of production in history in which the means whereby the surplus is pumped out of the direct producer is 'purely' economic in form - the wage contract: the equal exchange between free agents which  reproduces, hourly and daily, inequality and oppression" [Perry Anderson].

It was thought that the two systems could not exist in juxtaposition ("half slave and half free"), and the dominant social groups came into conflict after the Mexican War over the vast increase of US territory taken from Mexico. After the a dozen years of contestation, war was precipitated by Lincoln, a minion of the Northern ruling class.

"Both groups wanted to control the western half of the continent, and the Northern agrarians became increasingly anti-slavery as they faced the prospect of competing against a forced-labor system. But favoring free soil did not mean agitating to free the black man. The majority of Western farmers were not abolitionists ... Their objective was to exclude both the white planter and the black [workers] from the trans-Mississippi marketplace. That goal, and the attitude which produced it, gave Abraham Lincoln his victory over the abolitionist element in the newly rising Republican party" [W. A. Williams].

Although chattel slavery was abolished, the war did not result in material improvements for the working classes in either the North or the South. (See now Douglas A. Blackmon, "Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II," 2009.) The ruling classes coalesce to some degree in opposition to working class demands (cf. "Compromise [sic] of 1877"). The American 'robber baron' Jay Gould (1836-92) is supposed to have said, "I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half."

But t will take another trumped-up war, 50 years after Appomattox, to stymie popular demands. (See Randolph Bourne, "War Is The Health of the State," 1918.)