[Peace-discuss] Make you stop and wonder.

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Mon Feb 6 12:58:57 CST 2012

Of course that misses my point entirely or sidesteps it, which is what I
should have expected.  What you suggest might make sense if one were
committed to the electoral process and thought that it was an effective
avenue of systemic change in governmental policy and actions rather than a
false façade that masks at best minor changes (i.e., reforms) on the
periphery.  As I said the election is a rat race in which the winners and
losers are rats where - maybe - some rats are better or more equal than the
other rats in the race; but a rat is a rat.

Your response may also make sense if one has faith in the ability of one
person in a position of authority, power, leadership to actually control
their underlings and their actions significantly enough to make systemic
and radical changes in the nature and direction of the broader governmental
policies and practices - especially if they  plan to be re-elected, to
effectively work with the legislative branch, to overcome resistance of the
bureaucratic old guard in the administrative agencies and in the military,
or get the corporate establishment to actively support and implement changes
in their policies and practices in ways that may not be in their narrow
self-interest.  I see it the other way.  Even if one should elect a black
sheep to the office of President, it is like replacing one of the heads of a
hydra, where all the other heads will be conspiring to undermine the new
head and continue doing what they have always done.  I do not have any faith
in the "great man" or "great leader" approach to social change - especially
in a society that is not entirely totalitarian yet but might become in the
near future if things continue as they have been going.

My pessimism and cynicism may cause some to ask what I propose as a way to
bring about change; my response at this time and place is that what I would
propose (which might be futile and result in the complete destruction of
radical or progressive individuals and movements) is something that
Americans are not going to undertake in my lifetime - if ever - so why
bother to engage in Don Quixote like battles (as Sancho Panches says in Man
from La Mancha, "whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the
stone, it is going to be bad for the pitcher").  I just as soon sit and
watch the serpent eat its tail and let the US destroy itself and the world
for that matter - both may deserve it.