[Peace-discuss] What I Learned at the Airport in Bahrain

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Feb 13 11:07:28 CST 2012

Bahrain International Airport - When I came to Bahrain, it certainly wasn't
with the intention of spending my whole time in the country in the airport.
I wanted to see what was going on in the country, not to see what was going
on in the airport.

But the Bahrain authorities would not let me enter the country.

[...]

Other observers managed to get in, and you can see their reports at Witness
Bahrain <http://witnessbahrain.org/>. [You can't see that website if you
live in Bahrain though - it's blocked here by the Bahrain authorities.] But
if you're in the U.S., you can read reports on Witness Bahrain on the
protests marking the first anniversary of the uprising for democracy, and
the Bahrain government's response to those protests.

[...]

However, I did learn something useful, sitting in the airport, waiting with
a bunch of other foreigners for permission to enter the country.

I learned that the government of Bahrain is starting to pay a real price
for its efforts to shield its actions towards peaceful protesters from
international scrutiny.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/02/13/1064338/-What-I-Learned-at-the-Airport-in-Bahrain

--
Robert Naiman