[Peace-discuss] [Fwd: Ballot in 13th District]

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 13 07:38:58 CST 2012

The only way to cast a vote against the murderous military and
economic policies of the US government in the March 20 Illinois
primary here in the 13th Congressional District is to take a
Republican ballot (it's an open primary) and vote for Ron Paul - and
for his delegates.

Assuming Paul is not nominated by the Republicans and does not run as
an independent, one can vote for the candidate of the Green party or
of the Justice party - both of whom oppose the current military and
economic polices - in the November election.

The presidential election is largely irrelevant to changing those
polices - our sham election system insulates policy from politics -
and popular pressures to change them must be extra-parliamentary, as
they were in the civil rights and anti-war movements of a generation
and more ago - and as they are growing in Europe, Asia, and Africa
today.

Someone recently characterized our leaders - the tools of the 1% -
with a line from F. Scott Fitzgerald:  “They were careless people –
they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into
their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept
them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.”

--CGE