[Peace-discuss] referendum for townships: corporations do not have human rights

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 00:39:29 CST 2012

OcCUpy is proposing the following referendum to the April township meetings:

The U.S. Supreme Court held, in "Citizens United v. FEC", that
corporations have the rights of real human citizens and are entitled
to spend unlimited amounts of money in support of political campaigns.
To undo that decision, the people of the [Cunningham Township/City of
Champaign Township] support an Amendment to the United States
Constitution to establish that:

1. A corporation does not have the same rights as an actual person, and

2. Money is not speech and, therefore, regulating political spending
is not equivalent to limiting political speech.

We further request that our city, state and federal representatives
enact resolutions and legislation to advance the two positions
proposed as part of the Amendment, with reference to the need for an
Amendment.