[Peace-discuss] want to do some anti-war referenda this year...?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Jan 2 22:28:01 CST 2012

recall that there was this mechanism in state law, that we used to put
anti-war referenda on the ballot...

...and remember that they changed the law to make it more difficult...

however, my recollection is that they did not make it impossible, just
more difficult.

my memory is that while it was formerly the case that you could add
the referenda items to the agenda at the township meeting if you had a
supermajority, they removed the provision that allowed you to do that.
so, now you have to submit the proposals something like a month in
advance.

Now it is January, so if my memory is right, we can do this.

Furthermore, if my memory is right, according to this procedure, there
is no need for a supermajority, so we may actually find it easier to
get things on the ballot in Champaign than we found it in the past.

Assuming that my memory is correct, here are three ideas:

- withdraw all US troops from Afghanistan within 1 year
- no US military attack on Iran
- cut projected military spending by $1 trillion over 10 years

what do you think?

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director