[Peace-discuss] want to do some anti-war referenda this year...?

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 07:58:54 CST 2012

Yes!

I was just looking into this - Dave Powers had suggested a referendum on
corporate personhood, and the OccupyCU group talked about this last night.

Requirements now seem to be
(http://www.toi.org/documents/2011-2012Calendar.pdf) -
    - March 1st deadline to submit text to Twp clerk, with at least 15
voters' signatures
    - Review by township board, which now screens all referenda
    - At (probably) April 10th annual meeting, passage by simple
majority vote of electors

We talked about three possible approaches -
    - something on corporate personhood and/or money-as-speech,
    - something echoing the IL house bill HR0610, which supported free
speech rights of Occupy protestors, and recognized the hardships on
Illinoisans by Wall St. banks
    - a specific proposal granting free speech rights in public places,
as provided in CA's constitution (more details elsewhere)

I'm guessing we might try to submit one or two of these.