[Peace-discuss] In Iowa, Peace Voters Turned Out for Ron Paul in Higher Numbers Than Anticipated

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Jan 4 14:04:19 CST 2012

Ron Paul didn't win the Iowa caucus, but it wasn't because peace
voters didn't show up. Indeed, peace voters did show up, in higher
numbers than anticipated; and they voted for Ron Paul, in higher
numbers than anticipated. You could say the Iowa caucus was a
coming-out party for the new Republican peace movement.

Going forward, this means that there is a substantial group of voters
who is willing to vote for a peace candidate in a Republican primary
or caucus -- if they have a peace candidate to vote for. And this
result will be seen not just in future Presidential primaries and
caucuses, but in Congressional races -- if there is a peace candidate
to vote for.

If you're a person that cares about working with Congress to end wars,
prevent new ones, and stop the Pentagon from hogging so much of our
national resources, this is a very big deal. The day we get 21% of the
Republicans in the House and Senate to vote to end the war in
Afghanistan, oppose war with Iran, and cut the military budget, I will
change my Facebook picture to a photograph of Ayn Rand.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/in-iowa-peace-voters-turn_b_1184012.html

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director