[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] Ron Paul, Electoral Politics, and the Workers' Movement

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Mon Jan 23 21:14:24 CST 2012

Unless you're going to eschew electoral politics entirely - a not
unreasonable position, but one that entails either quiescence, or
finding extra-parliamentary ways to oppose the US government's crimes
- you've got to decide what you're going to do in the voting booth.
Ron Paul is simply the only major party candidate who opposes Obama's
murders, bail-outs of Wall St, and violations of the Constitution; all
the others approve.

It's true that our sham democracy provides us with little chance to
express disapproval: Illinois' electoral votes will almost undoubtedly
be delivered to Obama. Given the business parties' tight control of
the ballot, we'll at best be able to register a protest by voting for,
say, Jill Stein (Green Party) or Rocky Anderson (Justice Party). But
in March the primaries will occur, and one can take a Republican
ballot and vote for the only Republican or Democrat who's calling for
a reversal of Obama's military, economic, and anti-Constitutional
policies.

    --CGE

    "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the
nominating."
    --William "Boss" Tweed (1823-78), head of Tammany Hall, the
Democratic Party's machine in New York; the very model of a modern
major politician