[Peace-discuss] more July 4th: we're #85 - Celebrating the World's Youth

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:33:49 UTC 2012

The AWARE/OcCUpy/etc. entry for the July 4th parade is

     #85  (of 92)

That puts us just behind Miss Champaign-Urbana, and just ahead of Nash
Crane Service.
(We're also four notches back from Twin City Derby Girls - could be fun.)

Theresa, Rohn and I worked on Saturday on a July 4th banner which we can
march with - it reads:

     For Everyone's Children
       A World Without War

We'll have a few signs, or please make one if you feel inclined. The
theme is "Celebrating our youth",
which we can take in several directions - celebrating the world's youth
(so why do we keep promoting
wars that kill them?), or raising the impact of health care, or of
imprisonment, on our own youth.

If you're considering marching with AWARE/OcCUpy/CUCPJ/..., the starting
point is...

        12:30pm or so (we'll probably actually start moving around 1:15)
        in parking lot west of Assembly Hall, between Kirby and St.
Mary's Rd, between Oak and First
        Enter at check-in point in the middle of Oak St. (west) side of
the lot,
          (or if you're getting a ride, you can be dropped off on the
Kirby (north) side,
          but we can't drive into the lot).   See attached map.

It's expected to be *hot*, though less terrible than in recent days (and
less than recent forecasts have suggested),
with temperatures in the low 90s and dew points in the low 70s at parade
time, and a bit of breeze.
If you come, whether to march or to watch, be sure to*carry extra water.*

Parade route: from Assembly Hall, eastward along Kirby/Florida to
Lincoln, then northward to California.