[Peace-discuss] (no subject)

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 5 02:50:17 UTC 2012

But only the federal government can administer the "damn good
whacking" - and only when it is forced by an outraged public to do so.
As Dave Lindorff writes,

"...the  Affordable Health Care Act is not affordable. It does little
or nothing to control health care costs, which are destined to
continue to gobble up an ever increasing amount of the total US Gross
Domestic Product as well as of corporate profits and families’ incomes.

"The new federal version of Romneycare simply prolongs the day when
the US finally does what it should have done decades ago, should have
done during the first Clinton administration, and should have done at
the start of the Obama administration: namely expanding Medicare to
cover all Americans.

"Instead of going for this option when he had broad and enthusiastic
support as the newly elected president, Obama deliberately shut out
all discussion of the Canadian-style approach to national health
coverage — a national program of government insurance for all, with
doctors’ rates and hospital charges negotiated by the government — and
instead devised a scheme that leaves the whole payment system in the
hands of the private insurance industry, and effectively lets doctors
and hospitals charge what they can get away with."

*	*	*

BTW that's a wonderful bit of doggerel, which I'd never heard, and it
led me to Lettsom's fascinating biography (he apparently wrote those
lines himself!):

"Dr. John Coakley Lettsome (1744–1815) was an English physician and
philanthropist born on Little Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin
Islands. He was born into one of the early Quaker settlements in the
territory, and grew up to be an abolitionist. His surname is sometimes
spelled Lettsom ... Dr. Lettsome founded the Medical Society of London
in 1773, convinced that a combined membership of physicians, surgeons,
and apothecaries would prove productive. His revolutionary idea met
with success and the Society has provided a forum for all branches of
the medical profession from its inception to the present. Situated at
the heart of London's medical community at Lettsome House, Chandos
Street, near Cavendish Square, this is the oldest medical society in
the United Kingdom. As founder, president (1775–76, 1784–85, 1808–11,
1813–15), and benefactor Lettsome was the mainstay of the Society from
1773 until his death in 1815..."

He sounds a character out of Patrick O'Brian's roman-fleuve (!) set in
his lifetime; I'd have to check to see if he appears.

--CGE