[Peace-discuss] a nice "graphic article" on education reform - disaster capitalism and G.E.R.M, the Global Education Reform Movement

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 01:30:00 UTC 2012

Education reform a la Occupy - an article in graphic-novel style about
G.E.R.M, the Global Education Reform Movement, what it does to schools
and does not do to improve education, and oh yes, its roots in Milton
Friedman's economics ...

http://truth-out.org/art/item/9391-the-disaster-capitalism-curriculum-the-high-price-of-education-reform-episode-i

Two sample quotes:

‎ "Continuing to place faith and power in standardized test scores,
despite evidence that test scores reflect more significantly the lives
of children than the quality of teachers or schools, reveals our social
refusal to examine our commitments and the undeniable inequity of our
society."
- Paul Thomas, Prof of Education at Furman University

and

‎"Our school was combined with one that was closed three years ago ...
so now I have *50* students in my class."

In Chicago last week, Karen and I spoke with a Chicago Teacher's Union
negotiator. Among the working conditions which their teachers have
(recently?) been forbidden to bargain over: class size.