[Peace-discuss] [SDaS] 4th of July / AWARE's twist on the theme is "Celebrating the World's Youth" / help on the idea, please

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Jun 12 04:46:10 UTC 2012

On the theme of  "Celebrating our Youth," about a Vietnam memorial
style "wall" that shows the names of all the youths from Illinois who
have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, by the year that they were
killed.

Iraq - 162
http://icasualties.org/Iraq/ByState.aspx

Afghanistan - 79
http://icasualties.org/OEF/Fatalities.aspx

Given that the Vietnam memorial is the most popular memorial in
Washington, it's hard to see what legitimate argument there could be
that this would not be an appropriate way to celebrate our youth.