[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] Press Release from May 4, 2012 (+ other travel & event info)

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sun May 6 06:03:23 UTC 2012

Thanks for posting this, Chris!  It's really good to know.  I'm passing
it to peace-discuss too.

The CANG8 hosts suggest that people try to park in outlying areas and
take public transit into downtown.

[For people driving in on the 20th, I'd been thinking that the
Millennium Park garages would be tempting, but maybe not so now: (a) the
cheapest lot, Monroe St, is closed for reconstruction; (b) the more
expensive ones ($26, $30) could still be worth the money for fairly full
cars if they mean that 4-5 people didn't need to pay ~$5.50 each for el
train transport.  Given these road closings, the Millennium lots look
like they'll still be reachable but it may be trickier.  So I won't
argue with CANG8's recommendation.]

Some transitchicago.com <http://transitchicago.com/> buses are rerouted,
but it looks as though the el trains (colorful lines) are running on
their usual ranges.
So finding parking may be a matter of knowing *which neighborhoods are
good* for leaving an out-of-town car/bus parked on the street, which are
also close to an el train stop, and which aren't close to the McCormick
Place maelstrom of closed-off streets. *Does anyone know Chicago areas
like that?*

For those going for more than just the 20th: CANG8 has a housing board
<http://cang8.org/housing-board/> (http://cang8.org/housing-board/).
I've posted on this and will see what turns up.  Meanwhile, hostel beds
are still available in downtown Chicago, though not very cheap -
$49/bed/night in a 10-person dorm in the (very nice) Hostels
International hostel <http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostel060034.en.htm>,
a few blocks from the start of the march, for the 18-20th.  Other
hostels may be cheaper.  See the housing board for a list of others.

(For my part, I'd like to attend the AFSC/PeaceAction Counter-summit,
being held at the People's Church on the 18th-19th:
http://afsc.org/story/nato-comes-chicago-get-involved  ~~
http://www.natofreefuture.org/
)

David Swanson ( http://warisacrime.org ) is speaking on "Lifting the
Shadow of War" on
Saturday evening 5/19, 7-9pm,**Wellington Avenue United Church of
Christ, 1249 W Wellington Ave:

**http://vcnv.org/vcnv-calendar/david-swanson-will-speak-and-lead-a-discussion-on-the-topic-of-lifting-the-shadow-

**
I know others are going up a full week earlier, for the...
People's Summit ~~ http://www.peoplessummitchicago.org/
<http://www.peoplessummitchicago.org/>
on 5/12-13 - next weekend!  Their list of speakers is impressive,
including Malalai Joya, Medea Benjamin, Ann Wright, and (by phone) Mumia
Abu Jamal.

Finally: in case you take the train to/from Chicago during 5/17-23, you
can get a 10% "convention" (!) discount from Amtrak, arranged by UNAC:

<http://transitchicago.com/>