[Peace-discuss] AWARE meeting business

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun May 6 19:14:32 UTC 2012

Gentles:

I'll be inadvertently absent from tonight's meeting, and I wanted to
offer a reflection from yesterday's demo.

When I'm carrying a sign saying "Stop the War!" and people ask, "What
war?", the administration is having real success in its attempt to
soft-pedal the ongoing and expanding US war in the Greater Middle East
and Africa. The mendacity of hope - i.e., "Obama got us out of Iraq
and now he's getting us out of Afghanistan!" - is succeeding, as
political Big Lies often do.

I think our flyers should include a primer on the war, to counter the
all-too-successful 'narrative' the government offers.   Perhaps a
basic flyer, one side devoted to the real nature of a war in the
interest only of the 1% - and the other devoted to the real nature of
government economic programs, also of course finally in the interest
only of the 1%, despite palliatives (Obamacare, stimulus)...

It might be time for a general statement like that from AWARE,
especially one that would note our common concerns with Occupy.

I'll work on  a draft and post it for discussion, with the hope that
we can have it ready for the June demo - and for display on the FM
table.

--CGE

P.S. - I've got several copies of the following tomes to put out on
the table next week:

	"Occupy," by Noam Chomsky (Occupied Media Pamphlet Series)
	("Easy to read, affordable, loaded with photos and practical advice
for activists, 'Occupy' is another vital contribution from Chomsky to
the literature of defiance and protest, and a red-hot rallying call to
forge a better, more egalitarian future....[an] excellent read."—
Alternet)

	"Making the Future: Occupations, Interventions, Empire and
Resistance," by Noam Chomsky (City Lights Open Media)
  	("'Making the Future' presents more than fifty concise and
persuasively argued commentaries on U.S. politics and policies,
written between 2007 and 2011. Taken together, Chomsky's essays
present a powerful counter-narrative to official accounts of the major
political events of the past four years: the wars in Afghanistan and
Iraq; the U.S. presidential race; the ascendancy of China; Latin
America's leftward turn; the threat of nuclear proliferation in Iran
and North Korea; Israel's invasion of Gaza and expansion of
settlements in Jerusalem and the West Bank; developments in climate
change; the world financial crisis; the Arab Spring; the assassination
of Osama bin Laden; and the Occupy protests. Laced throughout his
critiques are expressions of commitment to democracy and the power of
popular struggles. 'Progressive legislation and social welfare,'
writes Chomsky, 'have been won by popular struggles, not gifts from
above. Those struggles follow a cycle of success and setback. They
must be waged every day, not just once every four years, always with
the goal of creating a genuinely responsive democratic society, from
the voting booth to the workplace.' 'Making the Future' is a follow-up
to 'Interventions,'  published by City Lights in 2007 and banned from
Guantánamo Bay by U.S. military censors. Both books are drawn from
articles Chomsky has been writing regularly for the New York Times
Syndicate, but which go largely ignored by newspapers in the United
States...")

And I'm considering whether to order some copies of the following.
Opinions?

	"Hopeless: Barack Obama and the Politics of Illusion," by Jeffrey St.
Clair (Editor), Joshua Frank (Editor), Kevin Alexander Gray
(Contributor), Kathy Kelly (Contributor), Ralph Nader (Contributor) et
al.
  	("Those who feel that like lemmings they are being led over a cliff
would be well-advised not to read this book. They may discover that
they are right."—Noam Chomsky. “The writers assembled here hit hard,
with accuracy, and do not pull punches."—Marcus Rediker, author of
'The Slave Ship: A Human History.'
Jeffrey St. Clair is co-editor of CounterPunch, author of 'Born Under
a Bad Sky' and 'Been Brown So Long it Looked Green to Me,' and co-
author of 'Whiteout: The CIA, Drugs, and the Press.'
Joshua Frank is an environmental journalist and co-editor of 'Red
State Rebels: Tales of Grassroots Resistance in the Heartland.' His
investigative reports and columns appear in CounterPunch, Chicago Sun-
Times, Common Dreams, and AlterNet.)