[Peace-discuss] Art Theater - Kudos to Joy George!!

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 18:40:05 UTC 2012

Great job, Joy!!!

--- On Wed, 5/16/12, the.art.theater at gmail.com <the.art.theater at gmail.com> wrote:

To view an online version of this email, click here.

            Final warnings! We will have one more show of Bully on Thursday, May 17 at 7:30 and one final show of Jeff Who Lives at Home at 10 PM.

            We want to send a huge "thank you" to Joy George and the Prairie Land Conflict Mediation Center
, as well as two anonymous donors (one of whom doesn't yet know they're a donor!)  Thanks to their efforts and donations, more than 600 local middle school students were able to see Bully this week.  Students, teachers, and administrators saw the film together, and classroom discussions were planned afterwards.  It's exactly the kind of event that the filmmakers wanted to achieve, and we thank our donors and Joy for making it happen.

            And now, the new films...

            A Separation (PG-13)

            This week we replay two films from Ebertfest 2012.  This film was not only an Ebertfest smash, but also the Oscar winner for Best Foreign Language film (so it is subtitled).  Read Roger Ebert's Ebertfest write-up here.  And watch the trailer here.

            Set in contemporary Iran, A Separation is the story of a marriage dissolving.  Told with balance and poise, this movie does not provide easy answers or pat situations.  It is a story of modern Iran, but is also a story that could be told in any place where the rise of women has impacted the traditional balance of power.

            "The film is a singular achievement, a piece of realist cinema with the
            pull of a suspense thriller, given its characters' array of deceits,
            troubles, burdens and miseries both self-inflicted and
            society-reinforced. Yet the level of craft, and the ease and rightness
            of every performance in this tale of divorce and its collateral damage,
            transforms what might be crushing melodrama into a moral riddle with no
            correct answer."  - Michael Philips in the Chicago Tribune.

            Presented from a 35mm print, we will play A Separation for one week only.  Please see the schedule below.

            Higher Ground (R)

            Another stunning movie from Ebertfest was this 2011 film (we played it last November!) directed by and starring Vera Farmiga.  Based on the memoir
            of Carolyn S. Briggs, who co-wrote the screenplay, this film depicts the landscape of a tight-knit spiritual community thrown off-kilter when one of their own begins to question her faith.   Read Roger Ebert's Ebertfest write-up here.  And watch the trailer here.

            Numerous reviewers commented on this film's nuanced take on religion, and the religious.  As A.O. Scott wrote in the New York Times: "Focused with sympathetic intensity on the ordeal of a single soul, it
            illuminates, as though from within, a complex spiritual struggle."

            "...something rarely seen in American movies: a sincerely
            humane examination of what it means to experience a crisis of faith.
            Tender, bittersweet and often gently comedic, Corinne's 20-year journey
            toward (and around, and away from) her God has a loose, searching rhythm
            that's engrossingly unpredictable." - Jeannette Catsoulis from NPR.

            We will play Higher Ground for one week only.  Please see the schedule below.  Digitally presented

            Yellow Submarine (G)  Our $5 Late Night Movie and Weekend Matinee

            From the psychedelic animation to the Beatles' music, nothing captures the spirit of its time (1968) better than this movie.  This version was recently restored, frame-by-frame (and by hand!) to bring back the gorgeous visuals and given an all new surround mix.

            The most overlooked part of this film, however, is the dialogue.  Full of puns and wordplay, the repartee rolls merrily from song to song. Time Magazine included it on their list of the top-25 animated films ever.   Sample a few minutes of it here.

            We have weekend matinee shows on Saturday (5/19) at 10 AM and 12 Noon, and on Sunday (5/20) at 3:30 PM.  It's G rated and parents recommended it for kids even as young as 4
.  (It's a great gateway to turn your kids into Beatles fans!)  All shows are $5.

            Before the Late Night showings, you can try your hand at our insanely difficult Beatles trivia contest.  It's "guaranteed to raise a smile" (and also not to take that long!)  We have prizes for the winners.  Digitally presented.

            Performing Art:  La Fille Mal Gardee (Ballet, from the Royal Ballet)

            Delightful comedy and virtuosic choreography abound in Frederick Ashton's sunny and beloved production of La Fille Mal Gardee from the Royal Ballet.  The simple story of Lise, her suitor Colas, and Lise's larger-than-life mother is both funny and touching, and filled with glorious detailed movement.

            Download the program here.

            Digitally presented.  Priced at Ballet Performing Art rates: $15 for adults and $13.50 discounted.  Plays on Sunday (5/20) at 1 PM and Wednesday (5/23) at 4 PM

            We now have a Performing Art schedule for all of May and June.  There are great shows coming up including: Danny Boyle's Frankenstein (twice!), Ira Glass and This American Life on stage, and One Man Two Guvnors.

            Early Warnings (for the week starting May 25)

                On May 25, we will start The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
                Our Late Night movie for the week of the 25th will be Juan of the Dead.  (Just watch the trailer!)
                And our Performing Art starting on Sunday May 27 will be the made-for-cinema version of This American Life.

                        Our Schedule this Week:

                        Friday (5/18)

                        5:00 PM – Higher Ground

                        7:30 PM – A Separation

                        10:00 PM - Yellow Submarine ($5 admission)

                        Saturday (5/19)

                        10:00 AM - Yellow Submarine ($5 admission)

                        12:00 Noon – Yellow Submarine ($5 admission)

                        2:30 PM –  A Separation

                        5:00 PM – Higher Ground

                        7:30 PM – A Separation

                        10:00 PM - Yellow Submarine ($5 admission)

                        Sunday (5/20)

                        1:00 PM - La Fille Mal Gardee (Ballet, from the Royal Ballet)

                        3:30 PM - Yellow Submarine ($5 admission)

                        5:30 PM – Higher Ground

                        8:00 PM – A Separation

                        Monday (5/21)

                        7:30 PM – Higher Ground

                        Tuesday (5/22)

                        7:30 PM – A Separation

                        Wednesday (5/23)

                        1:30 PM – A Separation

                        4:00 PM - La Fille Mal Gardee (Ballet, from the Royal Ballet)

                        7:30 PM – Higher Ground

                        Thursday (5/24)

                        7:30 PM – A Separation

                        10:00 PM - Yellow Submarine ($5 admission)

            Join us on Facebook!

            Showtimes, trailers, and reviews are always available on our website: www.theCUart.com

            Co-Op Update

            We are now at approximately $77,000 - we've had a very active week.  The board staffed a table at the Urbana market and signed up 13 people in one morning!  Also, PayPal owners continue to come in and we've seen an uptick of new owners at the theater.

            So we are almost there!  If you haven't joined yet, now's your chance to do it and still call yourself an original Co-op owner.

            Meanwhile, the board's subcommittees are meeting and another board meeting is fast approaching.

            You can always stay tuned for more updates on our Facebook page.

            Remember, we have the means for people to join via PayPal!    It's very easy - just follow this link: http://www.thecuart.com/coop.cfm#join

Click here to forward this mailing with your personal message.

This email was sent to: jencart7 at yahoo.com

This email was sent by: Art Theater

126 W. Church St. , Champaign, IL 61820

Go here to leave this list or modify your profile.

Click here to view our privacy policy.