[Peace-discuss] rape denialism on the left: a case study

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 01:09:19 UTC 2012

Robert Naiman wrote to the peace-discuss list: I heard a report that
someone was trying to organize a "cheerleading squad" at the
courthouse in support of the accused rapist. [...] Can anyone tell me
if there is any truth to this report?

In response, I write:
Rape is a horrible crime. It is severely under-reported. Most women I
know have been sexually assaulted and/or raped. I have been both.

The alleged event did happen at the IMC between two employees**
How much of the fault lies with the IMC?
Rape happens in so many places. Safety is a very important issue, and
should be addressed! YES!

He has not been convicted. Very few cases that are reported are
"unfounded"  (note that unfounded does not mean "false"). But he has a
right to a trial.

The other issue that you bring up deals with the criminal justice
system. I do not believe that the criminal justice system in Champaign
County handles rape in a way that helps either side.***

There are more than two people involved in any act, even one of this
type. Robert, you are  directly affected. Carol Ammons' family is
directly affected. The IMC is affected. And the activist communities
are directly affected.

Now is the time for face to face conversations. Now is the time, in my
opinion, for all voices to be heard. Now is the time for something
like a Restorative Circle. We are torn apart from each other.

------
** The male was the supervisor over the female. They had been having
an affair (that is not an excuse for rape, but rather to point out
that the affair was a work issue)

*** If he were a white male and she were a black woman, they'd both be
treated differently. Not better, just that something is screwed up.