[Peace-discuss] In response to recent emails and IMC case

Julianne Panagacos julianne.panagacos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 16:18:45 UTC 2012

Hi Bob,

I think the research you are proposing is important work though I find
it triggering to have emails in my inbox everyday with rape in the
title, especially when it is so close to home. On other listservs that
I am on when there is policy of putting something along the lines of
"potentially triggering material" in the title so that people can
choose to read it when they are ready to read about alleged sexual
assault. Are you (and others if you want to answer) willing to start
doing that?

I think it is important to acknowledge that a lot of people that care
about and use the IMC are mourning and in shock, which does not imply
denial. In other radical groups and scenes I've been part of and heard
of, there are community accountability processes that have been
created and executed in order to use different models of justice than
the model of justice imposed on us by the state. That is also not
denial, though you may not hear about it in a news paper. Being that
this allegation is already being pursed legally, I think it is most
important to make sure that there are resources for people- the
victim, defendant, families of those two parties and community
members,  to talk and process and support each other.

I hope emails to come are in the spirit of supporting ourselves though
a hard time.

Best,

Julianne