[Peace-discuss] [SDaS] In response to recent emails and IMC case

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 19:27:42 UTC 2012

Julianne et al,

Thank you for your e-mail and calling for a mindfulness and sensitivity on
an issue that
many of us have relationships to or personal experience with in one way or
another.

I was privileged to be able to listen and feel heard with folks who came
together last night to
discuss our concerns and urge support and I encourage those of us who are
able/willing to
continue to build dialogue in our community in order to seek healing,
accountability, and
encouraging coming together, not tearing apart, in moments like these.

These issues don't exist in isolation and if we're concerned about
injustice, we must remain
ever vigilant about how important it is for us to support one another where
possible. While
denial around these issues are commonplace everywhere, I've seen outrage,
care, support,
love, and a desire to heal. Let's grow those efforts. Our strength as a
community, and more
importantly as an activist community, will be demonstrated through our
ability to hold many
concerns at once--refusing to allow legal and social structures to tear us
apart and away from
those concerns.

I've been recommending *The Revolution Starts at Home* as a great resource.
The zine is online
here<http://www.incite-national.org/media/docs/0985_revolution-starts-at-home.pdf>,
but it will soon be published as a book for purchase with additional
chapters, etc.

Julianne mentions community accountability and I think this is key to
helping us stay strong
and to continue to build our power as a community, so* here's some
resources on community*
*accountability*:

INCITE Women of Color Against Violence "Community Accountability"
http://www.incite-national.org/index.php?s=114

Transformative Justice
http://www.transformativejustice.eu/?page_id=16

Creative Interventions Toolkit on Community Accountability
http://www.creative-interventions.org/about/ci-projects/community-based-interventions-project/

Generation Five
http://www.generationfive.org/

There is talk of creating a reading/practice group that will explore
community accountability. This,
I'm hopeful, will present us with an opportunity to ask for accountability
both from ourselves and
each other--not as a supplement for more formal redress from folks in
leadership positions, but
because we all have a role in creating safe, supportive community.

Additionally, I'd like to ensure everyone knows how to access *local
resources** addressing
sexual assault, advocacy, anti-violence, and healing after violence:

Rape, Advocacy, Counseling and Education Services (RACES)
http://www.cu-races.org/
24-Hour Rape Crisis Hotline: 1.217.384.4444

Women's Resources Center, University of Illinois
www.go.illinois.edu/wrc
Tel. 217-333-3137

A Woman's Place/Center for Women in Transition
http://www.cwt-cu.org/html/dv_services.html
Tel. 217-352-7151

Cognition Works
http://www.cognitionworks.org/
Tel. 217-239-0142

*This is by no means an exhaustive list, but I wanted to list a few
important resources.

Thanks for listening.

Rachel