[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] this Saturday's Occupy The Air

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Tue Nov 13 22:16:03 UTC 2012

Those not familiar with WEFT may find Stan's note peculiar, but - from my more than twenty-year association with this "alternative" radio station - I'm afraid it's all too typical of its rather shaky commitment to free speech.

WEFT has a quite shameful history of censoring, banning, excluding, and attempting to silence individuals, and even programs (including Democracy Now).

The remarkable thing is that this failing is not limited to WEFT and a few people associated with it: the alternative radio movement in the US has shown numerous (and recently increasing) examples of such censorship, for more than two generations. Look into the history of flagship stations like KPFA and WBAI, the Pacifica foundation, etc.

It wasn't supposed to be this way. Why do self-proclaimed liberals become so remarkably illiberal? An adequate answer would require an interesting investigation of psychology and politics; the themes of Chris Hedges' recent "Death of the Liberal Class" (and his follow-up articles) are surely involved.

In the meantime, it's clear that it's contradictory to the spirit of the Occupy movement to put up with such pettifoggery. If you don't believe in free speech for views you despise, you don't believe in it at all. --CGE