[Peace-discuss] Pro-war liberal Senate candidate in MA

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Mon Oct 1 22:37:29 UTC 2012

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/10/01/the-problem-with-massachusetts-and-elizabeth-warren/

'...Minimal digging into the political stances of [Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth] Warren unearths a number of foreign policy positions that put her at odds with her base. Start with her staunch support for the economic sanctions against Iran, recently strengthened to unparalleled heights by H.R. 1905. “The United States must take the necessary steps to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon. I support strong sanctions against Iran and believe that the United States must also continue to take a leadership role in pushing other countries to implement strong sanctions as well. Iran must not have an escape hatch,” Warren said in April...

'Another security staple of the current administration that Warren feels passionate about is Obama’s controversial “Kill List.” After the New York Times published an in-depth story detailing the President’s personal connection to the - possibly illegal - program, Warren declared, “These threats are not going away. We must remain vigilant. Al Qaeda has operations or affiliates in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, and elsewhere around the world. We need to continue our aggressive efforts against Al Qaeda, and we need to continue to support the efforts of our intelligence, law enforcement, homeland security, and military professionals.”

'Warren’s position on Israel may be the most craven of all...'

*	*	*

'Right before the [2008] election, the late Christopher Hitchens, an Obama supporter, argued that the joke wasn’t on him, an adamant War on Terror enthusiast, but on the young antiwar protestors lining up behind the promise of Hope and Change, “American liberals can’t quite face the fact that if their man does win in November, and if he has meant a single serious word he’s ever said, it means more war, and more bitter and protracted war at that—not less.”'