[Peace-discuss] [Peace] [OccupyCU] Farmer's Market and Demonstration on Saturday; and, another on Sept. 6th for Bradley Manning on eve of Obama's speech?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Sep 2 19:16:47 UTC 2012

If your point is that the anti-war movement could have done more and better in the last decade/last generation, I agree wholeheartedly, and it might be fruitful to consider how we can more effectively hamper the government's war-making today.

But if you contend that there's been no antiwar movement in these years, you've been misled by American political mythology, the most stultifying in the world. (See e.g. Herman & Chomsky, "The Manufacture of Consent.")

In fact,  the American anti-war movement stretches back through the 20th century to the days when Mark Twain was secretary of the anti-Imperialist League - which, like much of 20th century anti-war activity, has gone down the memory-hole.

American presidents guilty of "the supreme international crime - launching aggressive war" (Nuremberg) from Wilson to Obama have maneuvered to overcome the antiwar sentiment of the American people, rightly fearing it as the only real check on their war-making ability. (See e.g. Obama's comments in "The Audacity of Hope" on how the anti-war movement of the 1960s should have been combatted.)

Remember that Nixon ran *against* the Democrats' war in SE Asia in 1968: he campaigned on the promise that he had a "secret plan" for ending the war. "By 1969 about 70% of the public had come to regard the war as 'fundamentally wrong and immoral,' not 'a mistake' [from the longitudinal surveys of the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations] - largely as a result of the impact of student protest on general consciousness. And that mass opposition compelled the business community and then the government to stop the escalation of the war."

So  the election of 1972 was not a referendum on the war (as again the mythology has it). Kissinger had to provide (mendacious) evidence that "peace was at hand" (as he said in a news conference in October of 1972) and that peace negotiations were under way, before the election. (Once safely re-elected, Nixon further escalated the war, until the mutiny of the US army in Vietnam led to a precipitous withdrawal of US ground troops and the end of the draft.)

Nor did the peace movement end once Nixon was driven into the wilderness as a scapegoat for the "fundamentally wrong and immoral" war (and not just for a "third-rate burglary").  When Reagan became president 7 years later, he modeled his administration on Kennedy's (massive tax cut, military aggression) and wanted to invade Central America as Kennedy had invaded Vietnam 20 years before. But he was prevented from doing so by the persistence of the anti-war movement ("the Vietnam syndrome"). It was now nation-wide and included particularly church groups. US attacks on popular movements in Latin America were driven underground.

Twenty years on again, and the largest anti-war demonstrations in history preceded Bush Jr.'s invasion of Iraq - which Rumsfeld knew he could not do on the scale of Kennedy's invasion, when the US savaged Vietnam for years before an anti-war movement stirred.

One has to buy a lot of US propaganda to ignore the successes of the US peace movement. But of course they are by no means enough. --CGE