[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] What are the chances?

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 3 15:19:32 UTC 2012

Jenifer,
I tend to vote _for_ people, not against them, despite our bogus
democracy often turning on how much crap can be thrown at one or the
other of two poor choices that basically propose doing little to nothing
to alter an abusive, corrupt, and ultimately illegitimate
political-economic system.

Yes, in Illinois it hardly matters who you vote for individually., Obama
has the state sewn up. In other states, it doesn't matter, because
they're packed with yahoos struggling to drag us back to the 19th
century -- and hoping Romney will do that. There are other choices on
the ballot, some worth considering in comparison to
One-of-the-Inevitable-Pair.

And you can always just skip that ballot line entirely, although that's
a bit of a cop-out with the top of the ticket and with what's at stake
for some in how the results turns out. Thus if I was in a swing state,
it would be a tougher choice. I might even vote for Obama, because I do
think he's somewhat less toxic for the average citizen than Romney. It
would really depend on my mood going in to vote that day, as at least in
a swing state there is what amounts to a choice, as narrow as it might
be. For all Obama's many faults, if one compares him to Romney, most are
an order of magnitude less poisonous than Romney's.

Iran is a good example. If Romney was president right now, we'd probably
be deeply involved in the mess that unleashing Israel to do as
Netanyahoo wants will bring on. Obama has certainly been an enabler of
the current regime in Tel Aviv, but also a (somewhat) restraining
influence. Will the US turnaround and give Israel the green light to go
ahead and attack Iran, even with Obama? Possibly, but even that is a
faint ray of sunshine in comparison to the total eclipse of humanity
that Romney would facilitate.

That's just one issue, but we all know there are many more. Certainly
not much basis to vote for Obama, but yes, there is a difference and one
worth considering -- if your vote might be made in a jurisdiction where
it could tip the scales.

I usually stay out of these arguments, because I don't see them as
worthwhile in changing much. But if I had to pick the time of the year
to be dropped, naked and without food, tools or protection into the US
political wilderness, I'd rather it be in an Obama spring than a Romney
fall. At least with Obama I'd have a chance to eat, make shelter and
figure out how to survive the coming winter. With Romney, we'll all
simply soon freeze to death, which might be the most humane of the many
ways in which a Romney presidency will abuse most of the population.
Mike Lehman