[Peace-discuss] on demonstrating on questions that the two parties are not addressing -- Closer Than You Think: Top 15 Things Romney and Obama Agree On

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 17:51:21 UTC 2012

Comments ...

Ya'aqov Ziso wrote:
> /to perhaps sway Obama voters  -- to whom? to what?/
As far as *voting* is concerned, I think we'd hope to sway potential
Obama voters to say to him and to the Dem. party, Remember, you need our
support.  Listen to us!  The fact that your opponents are out of their
minds does not guarantee that you can give up any prospect of social
equity, accept any corporate dictate, promote any war, without concern
for us.  Certainly that's what unions should be saying - they may be
greatly reduced but their mobilization can still be important in close
races, and there are lots of those.

Further -

Remember what started this thread: a proposal for a demonstration. The
goal of that demonstration was *not* to say, Vote Against Obama nor Vote
for Romney.  It was to tell Obama (and everyone) that Bradley Manning's
(accused) whistleblowing and (actual) official mistreatment are
important issues.  Better, that whistleblowing to expose war crimes -
undermining the bureaucracy of war - should be admired, not prosecuted.

(If we're talking about prosecution, we'd do better to compare the
aggressive prosecution of Manning with the non-prosecution of many in
the US administration, or to take Archbishop Tutu's position, that those
who should be prosecuted now were those at the highest level who misled
their countries into a war that killed, at least hundreds of thousands
of people, displaced millions, and destroyed a country.  Though that
would seem to distract from the questions of Bradley Manning and of
Wikileaks.   (By coincidence, as I'm typing this, BBC radio is having a
live discussion of the ICC, Archbishop Tutu's call for prosecutions, and
the criminality of the Iraq war.))

Finally -

Thanks, especially to Jenifer, for keeping non-announcement messages off
the Peace list.