[Peace-discuss] Finkelstein on Ghandi

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Wed Sep 5 04:09:43 UTC 2012

I hope anyone sympathetic to Occupy will read this, along with the article it's much influenced by, Alexander Cockburn's "Epitaph for a Dead Movement" <http://www.creators.com/opinion/alexander-cockburn/epitaph-to-a-dead-movement.html>.

In fact in the spirit of the new semester and the hegemonic institution in our community, I'd like to put them both on the Required Reading list for the next AWARE meeting. Perhaps they'll help the local anti-war movement arise from its desuetude. (At last Sunday's meeting, one member offered a misty-eyed reminiscence of the days when AWARE attracted scores of meeting participants, drawn by theatrical programs and refreshments...)

And David summarizes concisely the great liberal dissimulation of the last generation, the substitution of diversity for equality as the goal of social struggle.

Of course today we can do little more than point out that great deception, preoccupied as we are (or should be) in reducing the administration's vicious killing, at the behest of the 1%. --CGE