[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] Finkelstein on Ghandi

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Thu Sep 6 20:11:29 UTC 2012

> If working from within were a fools errand, then we have the fools in the religious right to thank for today's Republican Party, IMHO.

I will not argue with you that the religious right is composed of fools; but I do not agree with you that their working from within the Republican Party has brought about the current Republican Party.  That they have always been in the Republican party is not what I question; nor is the fact that they have been dominant off and on from time to time (particularly in hard economic times, times when the WASP values and interests were being challenged, and times when racial and ethnic superiority and authority were being challenged) something to be questioned.  However, I do question that they alone via working within the party have been effective in gaining control and setting the policies and positions of the current Republican Party.  That they have gained control and exerted influence over Party policies and practices is in no small measure fueled by external sources (i.e., global uncertainty and domestic insecurity, the state of the economy, the rapid increase in population size of minorities vis-à-vis the majority white population, the rise of external organizations such as the Tea Party & other right-wing militias and libertarian groups, etc.).  In point of fact, many of the so-called 1% corporate captains of industry that have always controlled the Party and its policies held many of the same views and inclinations as those on in the religious right who are now more visible and vocal; but circumstances did not warrant their “coming out” so to speak since they already had formally or informally in place the practices and policies that they were advocating.   WASPs controlled the country, minorities (racial and ethnic) were tacitly and informally kept under the thumb of the White power structure, Christianity – if not Protestantism – was the defacto religion of the country, immigration was tightly restricted when it came to non-Europeans, and gays remained closeted.

>After the failure of the Goldwater folks, It was only 4 years before the more moderate Republicans were able to get Nixon elected.
Ironically, it was Goldwater who feared and warned about the religious right and its involvement in politics and the Republican Party.  Who says that it was the more moderate Republicans who got Nixon nominated and/or elected.  You cannot be saying that Nixon was a moderate or did not have right-wing religious inclinations.  Yes, he was a little more prudent, sophisticated, and pragmatic than today’s Republicans; but was that anything but a façade.  For the most part, the changes in both parties reflect the changes in Amerikan society.  Up until the Viet Nam war, the culture and ideology of Amerika was more or less homogeneous; with the Viet Nam war and after, it has become more diverse and contentious. Thus, while prior to Viet Nam, what I will call “gentleman” politics where the opponents were civil and willing to compromise was practiced for the most part; after Viet Nam, politics in Amerika grew up in a sense and became like the rest of the world where politics became ideological, lacking in civility, and uncompromising.  The main difference between Amerika and the other countries in the world is that the other countries employ a parlimentary system in which a winner takes all criteria does not exist and compromise and/or coalitions are practiced unlike the U.S. where minority parties and positions are not given proportional representation in the legislatures or the main political parties.  The main parties in the U.S have sought to be umbrella parties who try to appear as if they are pragmatically taking centrist positions and putting forth majority positions and candidates – even when they obviously are not really either umbrellas or centrist when one looks under the hood.

>I do not believe that the 99%ers are some sort of monolithic group that all think the same way. Politics is a little like religion in that you have to BELIEVE to be a devout follower of either party, and willing to not only vote against your >personal best interest, but the best interest of the country.

Good; but some people seem to thinks or that a majority of the 99%ers  think the same way, support the same things, or have the same or similar interests.  Like all general categories, they make oversimplified distinctions while ignoring substantive details.  So you will agree that some of the 99%ers – and possibly a majority of them, although we have know way of knowing what portion of this category support or believe what – may actually support (1) the candidates, parties, and policies of the Republican Party;(2) the values, policies, and beliefs of the Tea Party; the views and practices of the religious right or other extremist groups; and or the positions and behaviors of the corporate establishment and/or the 1%.  You will agree that many – if not a majority of the 99% may have vested interests that are different from those suggested by the Occupy movement and might even oppose that movement and their positions.  You will also agree that it is possible that a large number of the 99%ers may even hold racist views, ethnic and gender biases, be anti-gay and/or anti immigrant, support various law enforcement and home security tactics and measures, and/or back national defense and foreign policies that have been recently instituted or currently exist.

Yes politics is more than a little like religion in that you have to BELIEVE (i.e. be more or less a “true believer”) to be a devout follower of either party; but this in itself typically means that you are willing to vote against your own personal interests and/or the interests of the country but are not willing to vote against your political party and its candidates for almost any reason – a “my party and its candidates, platforms, and policies right or wrong” attitude.  Thus, most of those who engage in politics as active or passive participants tend to be blind followers and those who merely observe or act a detached actors usually are cynical and complain but neither very seriously active nor without serious cases of apathy.  Given what you say, how can you put any faith insiders bringing about change from inside their political parties.  Especially since both major parties have become vehicles of corporate & labor bureaucratic organizational establishment, have adapted to the current cultural-technological-and economic societal environment and conditions.

As for outside sources of change like the Occupy movement, They suggest or, on occasion, claim claim to represent the interests of the 99%; but as you suggest, the 99% do not all have the same or even similar interests, beliefs, or values.  Moreover, we have no idea what proportion of the 99%ers support what independent of what spokes people in the Occupy movement claim or suggest.  Nor do we know what the nature or strength of commitment the various categories of members or alleged members have with respect to movement activism and support when it comes to generating resources, giving time and energy, or taking risks.  So at best, this movement may furnish a long range – if it lasts that long – amorphous pressure group for change in both the political and economic culture as well as in the political system and the political parties; but more than likely their positions will be absorbed and coopted by the parties and the system so as to result in insignificant symbolic reforms – mostly in language and platforms but not in actual action, practices, or policies – as has happened so often in the past with third parties and pressure groups and movements.