[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] Tom Hayden: "liberal-left radicals" upset w/Obama sell-outs are "blind" racists

Ricky Baldwin rbaldwin at seiu73.org
Mon Sep 10 17:07:10 UTC 2012

Well, that's not quite what Hayden says:

"Why Obama’s achievements are dismissed or denied by many on the white liberal-left is a question worth serious consideration. It may only be a matter of legitimate disappointment after the utopian expectations of 2008. It could be pure antipathy to electoral politics, or a superficial assessment of how near impossible it is to change intransigent institutions. It could be a vested organizational interest in asserting there is no difference between the two major parties, a view wildly at odds with the intense partisan conflicts on exhibit every day. Or it could even be a white blindness in perceptions of reality on the left. When African American voters favor Obama 94 percent to zero, and the attacks are coming from the white liberal-left, something needs repair in the foundations of American radicalism.

I intend to explore these questions further during the election season. [etc]"

Whether I agree with Hayden's positions or not, I invite folks to read what he actually says before deciding on the accuracy of the subject line.  Seems to me there are some points there worth serious discussion in any case (but maybe not on multiple lists at once ;-) and in person is probably the best way).

Ricky