[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] Tom Hayden: "liberal-left radicals" upset w/Obama sell-outs are "blind" racists

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Mon Sep 10 17:41:19 UTC 2012

Hayden, who's been an active participant in the sell-out of the Democratic party after "the sixties" ("He's in danger of giving opportunism a bad name," said Gore Vidal), knows how it was done. Most of us don't, and should.

In summary, with the rise of neoliberalism in the 1970s, the Democrats jettisoned their professed opposition to economic exploitation ("the party of the working-man") and had to cast about for another good cause. They settled on opposition to discrimination, because there were few open proponents of discrimination, and discrimination is not a good thing. They thought thereby to retain their liberal reputation.

Their retreat was pointed out at the time: "identity politics" was substituted for class politics.  For perhaps the best summary of why those two are opposed, see Walter Benn Michaels, "The Trouble with Diversity: How We Learned to Love Identity and Ignore Inequality" (2006).

An update and short summary is found at "Let them East Diversity" <http://jacobinmag.com/2011/01/let-them-eat-diversity/>.  --CGE