[Peace-discuss] indoor market trouble -- back out, sell nothing, argue?

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 26 21:46:43 UTC 2012

News from the Indoor Market (Nov 10 - Dec 15):

They've had a rule on the books for some while, that only Illinois-made
goods can be sold in the indoor market.   Each year, when the form asked
whether we were selling things made in Illinois, we've checked that our
goods weren't, and it's never made a difference.

This year, they're enforcing the rule.  Heard that they won't let us
sell our non-IL bumper stickers, etc.

We have three choices that I can think of -

    - remain in the market ($30/week) for the public contact.  We're
welcome to hand out flyers, etc.
       (For that matter, we could sell buttons and so on, if they're
locally made.   Our current ones haven't been, except for buttons Rohn
has made in the past.)

    - back out.  We get our money back.   Our last Market day would be
the end of the regular Farmer's Market, on Nov. 3rd.

    - protest against the effective rule change without notice.
       One reason we might give: we've already spent $300+ on 2013 Peace
Calendars,
       with the understanding that we'd sell them in the indoor market,
       as we have for the last three years at least.
       Maybe they'll give us one final year.

Any preference, or other ideas?