[Peace-discuss] [sftalk] [sf-core] More dead children on Obama's watch

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Wed Apr 3 13:58:10 UTC 2013

Andrew--

I was delighted to discover a few years ago that the image ascribed to Mao Tse-tung - "Let a hundred flowers bloom; let a thousand schools of thought contend" - was used by Clement of Alexandria in a similar fashion (in the 2nd century AD), about nascent Christianity. But surely neither man saw the contention as an end in itself: it was in aid of finding the right way forward for their respective political movements.

Understanding the situation is crucial. In the absence of an accurate analysis, good will "to make the world better" can do the right thing only by accident.

The argument in this email thread is about whether the analyses of liberalism and the left in the contemporary US are more or less the same, or contradictory. I think they're contradictory.

The left in America means opposition to the class-oppression of capitalism, joined to the recognition that US wars are in the interests only of the capitalist class. Liberalism is an attempt to meliorate capitalism (from whatever motive, including the defense of the capitalist order) and eliminate the excesses of the foreign policy of the US, seen as basically sound. (E.g., the late Anthony Lewis, the liberal extreme of NYT columnists, held long after the US war in Vietnam that the greatest international crime since WWII had been "a blundering attempt to do good.")

The argument here began with John Stauber's important article, "The Progressive Movement is a PR Front for Rich Democrats" <http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/03/15/the-progressive-movement-is-a-pr-front-for-rich-democrats/>, which describes current liberal attempts to co-opt the left. It was just that sort of co-option of the anti-war movement that made Barack Obama president. (That he realized such a campaign would be necessary is clear from The Audacity of Hope: his lying pretense to be the peace candidate was his most audacious hope.)

Americans are only slowly becoming aware of the conscious neoliberal campaign from the 1970s, designed to combat the American left that had emerged in the 1960s.  Neoliberalism meant, further, to reverse the gains in social support - such as social Security and Medicare - that American capitalism had had to concede in the generation after WWII. A series of neoliberal administrations (Republican and Democrat) over more than three decades - culminating in the current one - may well accomplish that goal, as they have destroyed unions and suppressed wages. And the neoliberal campaign has been quite conscious, if covert: see e.g. the Powell memo (1971) and Crozier et al. The Crisis of Democracy (1975) - the crisis being that the sixties had produced too much democracy...

Neoliberalism vs. the left is the battle by night that's going on in US politics, under the show of contests between safely neoliberal candidates like Romney and Obama. In spite of the corporate media, more Americans are realizing that the outcome of the latter makes little difference (cf. "hope and change" in 2008), but the outcome of the former is crucial. It's surely a mistake to pretend that liberals and the left are on the same side, even if they occasionally work together.

So as not to disappoint you, I'll end with a typical appeal to authority (or at least to a good analysis) on that last point: see Chomsky on "goals and visions" in <http://www.chomsky.info/books/prospects01.htm>.

--CGE