[Peace-discuss] Bandar Bush sighting, citing

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 30 23:33:29 UTC 2013

Throughout history, Adam Smith observed, we find the workings of "the vile maxim of the masters of mankind": "All for ourselves, and nothing for other People." He had few illusions about the consequences. The invisible hand, he wrote, will destroy the possibility of a decent human existence "unless government takes pains to prevent" this outcome, as must be assured in "every improved and civilized society." It will destroy community, the environment and human values generally -- and even the masters themselves, which is why the business classes have regularly called for state intervention to protect them from market forces.

The masters of mankind in Smith's day were the "merchants and manufacturers," who were the "principal architects" of state policy, using their power to bring "dreadful misfortunes" to the vast realms they subjugated and to harm the people of England as well, though their own interests were "most peculiarly attended to."

Those paragraphs are from Chomsky, who points out at length elsewhere that the people of the US are the objects of a century-long propaganda campaign, the most massive and sophisticated in history, designed to see that the interests of the "principal architects" of state policy were "most peculiarly attended to."