[Peace-discuss] News-Gazette letter: Iran nuke deal is a good start

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Dec 9 20:12:20 UTC 2013

http://www.news-gazette.com/opinion/letters-editor/2013-12-08/iran-nuke-deal-good-start.html

Iran nuke deal is a good start
Sun, 12/08/2013 - 7:00am | The
News-Gazette<http://www.news-gazette.com/users/digitalmedia>

The interim nuclear deal recently reached by the United States and Iran is
historic. For the first time since current multilateral efforts to
negotiate limits to Iran's nuclear program began under the George W. Bush
Administration, the U.S. has reached a deal with Iran that imposes
verifiable limits on Iran's nuclear program.

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin has supported this agreement. He told a radio station
in Alton, "Let's go forward with the negotiation with our eyes wide open,
but with inspectors on the ground we'll be able to tell whether they're in
fact doing what they say they're going to do."

Unfortunately, U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk has taken the opposite approach,
attacking the agreement and trying to tie the hands of American diplomats
by imposing unrealistic goals on U.S. diplomats that few experts believe
can be achieved without another disastrous Middle East war.

U.S. Rep. Rodney Davis has not yet taken a public position on the deal. I
hope that he will oppose calls for more sanctions on Iran now that would
likely undermine diplomatic progress towards a final agreement to resolve
international concerns about Iran's nuclear program.

ROBERT NAIMAN

Urbana

--
Robert Naiman