[Peace-discuss] Smile Politely blog post

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 22 17:24:33 UTC 2013

This post has been submitted to the local online website "Smile Politely."

Democratic Party primary voters this coming March 18thwill have three candidates to choose from in the race for U.S. Congress in District 13, which includes Champaign-Urbana, Bloomington-Normal, Decatur, Springfield, Edwardsville, Alton, and part or all of eight mostly rural counties: Bond, Christian, Calhoun, De Witt, Greene, Jersey, Macoupin, Montgomery, and Piatt. Voters are fortunate to be able choose from three candidates with clear and markedly different perspectives, including me. Unlike almost all other primary elections for national office, conscientious and informed citizens will have something to be conscientious and informed about.
Ann Callis (from Madison County) is promoted on her website as a “tough, anti-crime judge, who for 18 years faced down murderers and drug dealers every day to protect our neighborhoods.”
In contrast, one can find on my website the following statement: “The War on Drugs has for four decades been a means of disproportionately and arbitrarily incarcerating millions of African-American men, creating a “New Jim Crow” in American society and destroying urban communities and families. I support movements toward decarceration and de-criminalization, especially in relation to non-violent behaviors. I support seriously addressing poverty at a social level and addiction at an individual level as means of moving beyond the racially-biased War on Drugs, and towards prevention, treatment, and restorative justice when appropriate.”
George Gollin (from Champaign County) also puts forward his law and order credentials in terms of his ongoing crusade against illegal “diploma mills.” But as a scientist and educator he emphasizes education, research, and the economy: “We must direct our economic policies toward investment in education and research, innovation as a primary driver of job growth and infrastructure repair and improvements.”
Again, my views are in sharp contrast; economic data clearly show that it is not innovation per se but a broader array of government policies that drive the nature and quality of employment and economic growth.  Over the past four decades, government policies have undermined labor unions, placed most American workers in competition with lower-wage foreign workers through outsourcing, privatized public services to the detriment of workers, and placed severe constraints on remaining public employees. Our country has for decades been the global leader in technological innovation, yet the benefits have gone to the owners of the society, not the workers; thus our current desperate plight.
So-called “free trade” agreements such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)—which are really investor rights agreements—will continue to work to the detriment of American working families. I oppose these agreements; neither of my opponents addresses this important issue.
On my website, I state: “While I agree with the notion that research and development in higher education can contribute to innovation and increased productivity, these benefits have not been reflected in the standard of living of typical American workers and families. I oppose the corporatization of our public universities into private profit centers. I support policies that ensure that innovations paid for by the taxpayers accrue to workers and their families, as well as social progress in general.”
I also state: “The educational system has not failed the job market—the job market has failed students and workers, due to self-aggrandizing decisions by bankers, corporate leaders, and politicians.”
Beyond the issues discussed above, the sharpest contrast between me and my opponents is evidenced by our views on foreign policy. For the past two decades I have worked actively to oppose U.S. imperialism and wars around the world. My opponents, however, make no public statements regarding American militarism, war and peace, and the nature of global capitalism.
I state: “Since World War II, the United States has used our over-sized military to enforce global capitalism on behalf of the interests of corporate elites, and against the interests of working people and families, not to mention millions of individuals in other countries. I have actively opposed all of our wars since 9/11, and will continue to do so.”
I have been a party to our local antiwar movement since 9/11. George Gollin’s voice regarding our disastrous foreign policies has not been publicly registered for all of these 13 years.
My opponents express their strong support for services to veterans. I agree, but I assert that we need single-payer universal healthcare for our entire population, and the federal government needs to provide a job for everyone who needs one, veteran or otherwise. More fundamentally, I oppose government policies that will only create more broken bodies and minds among our soldiers. My opponents as yet assert no such view.
Democratic Party voters, again, have a clear and important choice to make in the upcoming primary election. My only wish is that they inform themselves honestly and choose wisely, to the best of their conscience and reason. Meanwhile, I will do my best to formulate and disseminate my views in good conscience and good faith.