[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Israeli Soldiers Destroy New Palestinian Protest Village, #Canaan

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sat Feb 9 17:49:11 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org>
Date: Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Subject: Israeli Soldiers Destroy New Palestinian Protest Village, #Canaan
To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

 [image: Just Foreign
Policy]<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justforeignpolicy.org>

Dear Robert,

Early this morning, a group of Palestinian and international nonviolent
activists made two attempts to establish a new village in the South Hebron
Hills to protest the Netanyahu government's plans to confiscate Palestinian
land in the area. "We are establishing Canaan on our land after our homes
and water wells were demolished, and our people displaced," Yatta popular
committee spokesman Ibrahim Rabee told Ma'an News Agency.

According to AFP, the activists gathered at the first site, near a road
that serves the settlement of Carmel, were evicted before they could erect
any structures. The activists then moved to a second site, near the
Palestinian village of al-Tuwani, where they were able to erect at least
one tent before Israeli forces arrived. "We began building the tents and
were surprised when a large force of the Israeli army began attacking us
and destroying tents and hitting us,” Younis Arar, coordinator of the
popular committee in the southern West Bank, told Ma'an news. AFP reported
the use of water cannon to disperse the activists. According to Haaretz,
the water sprayed at the protesters was “foul water”, also known as “skunk
water”, which has a putrid smell that can linger on clothing for years.

No one is reported to have been arrested at the first site, but Al Jazeera
says six activists were arrested at the second site, including two
journalists, one of which is with the AP. A Hebron human rights activist
told Al Jazeera, "The Israeli army does not distinguish the journalists
from activists, or from the people living there - they just attacked
everyone. They were very aggressive today."

Canaan was the fifth attempt to establish a protest village in the West
Bank in as many weeks, and the Israeli army's response has become more
aggressive with each attempt. The world needs to know about these
nonviolent acts of resistance, and now is the time to spread the word.
Here's what you can do:

*1. If you're on Twitter, read and retweet news coming in from
#Canaan<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=2&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3D%2523Canaan>
*

*2. Read and share these articles:*

   1. "Israel destroys W Bank protest camp," Al Jazeera and agencies,
   February 9, 2013, *
   http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/02/20132915611391106.html<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aljazeera.com%2Fnews%2Fmiddleeast%2F2013%2F02%2F20132915611391106.html>
   *
   2. “Israeli forces remove new Palestinian tent village in West Bank,”
   Haaretz, February 9, 2013, *
   http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israeli-forces-remove-new-palestinian-tent-village-in-west-bank-1.502430<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.haaretz.com%2Fnews%2Fdiplomacy-defense%2Fisraeli-forces-remove-new-palestinian-tent-village-in-west-bank-1.502430>
   *
   3. “Israel army evicts West Bank protesters,” AFP, February 9, 2013, *
   http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gueX9gHnT2kN6FfW5CztPMBSA5vA?docId=CNG.2e488de1315a6028d1229c42f7894e37.111<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fhostednews%2Fafp%2Farticle%2FALeqM5gueX9gHnT2kN6FfW5CztPMBSA5vA%3FdocId%3DCNG.2e488de1315a6028d1229c42f7894e37.111>
   *
   4. "Activists construct new protest village in south Hebron," Ma'an News
   Agency, February 9, 2013, *
   http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=563453<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maannews.net%2Feng%2FViewDetails.aspx%3FID%3D563453>
   *

*3. Read and share our factsheet on the protest villages and land
confiscation:*

Get the Facts: Land Confiscation and the Palestinian Protest Villages
*http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/babs-factsheet<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=7&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justforeignpolicy.org%2Fbabs-factsheet>
*

Thanks for all you do to help raise the profile of Palestinian nonviolent
resistance to land confiscation!

Megan Iorio and Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy

*Please support our work. Donate for a Just Foreign Policy.*
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justforeignpolicy.org%2Fdonate>

 © 2013 Just Foreign Policy

 [image: empowered by Salsa] <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>

--