[Peace-discuss] kucinichus passes from the scene

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigsqq.org
Fri Jan 4 01:05:59 UTC 2013

Almost paradoxically it seems, the Libertarians "Libtards" and Ron
Paulers "Paultards" love Dennis Kucinich.

A recent poll of readers of the Daily Paul showed that Kucinich was far
more popular among
Paulers than Ron Paul's quasi-neoconnish son Rand the Senator from Kentucky.

Kucinich wanted good government, he saw that what we had was far short
of good,
and he was willing to stand up for it, and he waxed eloquent at times.

Kucinich was/is an idealist.  A dreamer perhaps.  Maybe a bit off at
times it seemed.
Kucinich's idealism is annoying sometimes.  He annoyed the Dems too, and
they
redistricted him out of the picture, squeezing him out.

His commitment to his dreams and his commitment to principles and the
way that he
commented on the Emperor's wardrobe inspired us.  And although we can't
find full agreement with him, we
find so much on which we do agree with him.  And even when we don't
fully agree,
we do stand in admiration.

The intersecting area of the Venn.  The "Ballantine" some still say.

Most of us can agree that we want good government.
We might disagree on how much of it we want.
Kucinich hated bad government.  So do we.

There was a button in the 70's - "Individualists:  Unite!".
It's clear that there are Evil Leaders who would lead us astray.
God forbid we should unite behind them, and a blind faith in Unity
destines us to run into the ditch.  Groupthink, like bipartisanship, is
generally
the combination of Stupidity and Evil rather than just one at a time.  I
would suppose that only the
Anarcholibertarians could be trusted to run the government as a
sort of necessary evil, and I personally see the value of a subtotal if
not total dissolving of the Union.

Kucinich is far more optimistic about the possibilities for government
to actually do something good for a change,
and he could clearly point out what is wrong with government we have.

In his "farewell address" Dennis Kucinich once again waxes eloquent on
the subject of Unity
and it is certainly worth the reading:

"We must unite for the people.

"And that is really the idea of the United States.  It’s the Unity of
States.  But it’s even deeper than that.  It’s expressive of the Unity
of People, that it’s all for one and one for all.  Our nation’s first
motto, E pluribus unum, out of many we are one, stresses the power of unity.

"The idea of human unity is implicit in this nation.

"In my visits across America, I discovered that there is an underlying
unity which binds us as Americans, which calls us forward to a higher
purpose.

"I have also come to understand that our politics divides people.  The
politics of polarization and hyperpartisanship has become obviously
quite destructive, nearly incapacitating government.

"Yet at such a time the hunger for unity is the greatest.  But the
ideological difference between us widens.

"We need a new politics in America, which unites people, which sets
aside partisan differences for the greater good of the country, which
strives to reconnect with the greatness of the nation and the goodness
of the American people.

"What would that politics look like?

"The rhetoric would change to one of mutual respect.  The questioning of
motives would end.  The poisoned system of pay to play would be
transformed by public financing.  And our government would be
rededicated to addressing the practical aspirations of all the American
people, for jobs, for health care for all, for education for all, for
retirement security for all and for environmental security.  We need a
new politics which creates jobs and celebrates the dignity of work.  Our
government must raise the status of working people and protect their
rights.  Our government must stress wealth creation over taxation,
investment over debt, health over illness, peace over war, liberty over
surveillance.

"We have the capacity of choosing and choosing again, as we are involved
in the most creative endeavor of human achievement - - actualizing the
highest principles upon which this country was founded and infusing
those principles into self-government.  Unity.  One nation.  Under God.
Liberty and justice for all.  A new America is waiting to emerge.  Let
us call it forward with the same sense of wonder and expectation that
the founders first evoked: the United States of America."