[Peace-discuss] Jewish Voice for Peace: Will the Israel lobby nominate the next US Secretary of Defense?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Jan 4 17:05:59 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rebecca Vilkomerson, Jewish Voice for Peace <
info at jewishvoiceforpeace.org>
Date: Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Subject: Will the Israel lobby nominate the next US Secretary of Defense?
To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

    [image: Jewish Voice for Peace]

   *
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=U92AfFY4ZoFcinSjh1kfgjCeZwxPV4ZB>

Tell President Obama:

Do not cave in to the Israel lobby's smear campaigns.

Nominate the Secretary
of Defense who is
best for the US!<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=NA6zPlxbA3GUfhdPBi%2F7hDCeZwxPV4ZB>

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3hkHm1uKYMNHLe27Gt00QzCeZwxPV4ZB>
* * *  Dear Robert,

 America’s Israel Lobby has unleashed a vicious smear campaign against
former U.S. Senator Chuck Hagel, an independent thinker who President Obama
wants for Secretary of Defense.

Unless we act now to counter thousands of emails that Israel lobby groups
have already sent to the White House, President Obama may yield to
pressure, sending the message that the Israel Lobby has veto power over all
key positions in the Administration.

*Sign the petition now and send to everyone you
know.*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=uKES3p1518DOWIFp7cvUhTCeZwxPV4ZB>

Chuck Hagel is an old-school conservative Republican, unlikely to make
major changes in foreign policy.  But he is being targeted because he is
reluctant to go to war with Iran, believes we should keep the door open to
dialogue with groups like Hamas and Hezbollah, and doesn’t kowtow to AIPAC.

*His conservative track record means he may not be everyone's top pick, but
this battle is much bigger than Chuck Hagel.*

If you, like me, thinks it’s outrageous that Israel’s leadership and their
proxies in the United States think they have the right to veto all
appointments to top positions in the US government, *I hope you’ll join me
in signing this petition to president
Obama.*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KrsvRVFNT2kyDH7rRGvn8DCeZwxPV4ZB>

*Sign petition here.*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=pC%2BiGfs%2FmEPe8hFdQ7Z5WjCeZwxPV4ZB>

Tell President Obama that he should be making his decision based on who he
believes is the best person for the job, not who AIPAC approves of.

In short, it matters because, as Peter Beinart wrote:

"The core truth is this: In American punditry today, you can casually
accuse a decorated war hero of bigotry against Jews or Israel secure in the
knowledge that while the accusation may destroy his career, it will never
imperil your own. Until that changes, nothing will."

Regards,

Rebecca Vilkomerson

   <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=fwemgeMM6Ad%2F7hGbiphKpzCeZwxPV4ZB>
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FRIWrP0blg9xMT8f%2BN%2BEVjCeZwxPV4ZB>
 <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=IuBqkLyCjTQIbZ6xJzEQ3DCeZwxPV4ZB>

   - *Pledge your birthday to Jewish Voice for Peace.
*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=d4CYwY%2F%2BQHLsizZ%2FputqYzCeZwxPV4ZB>
   - Subscribe to our blog
*Muzzewatch.*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=55lZD4TPgAMiNrvpjo8P5zCeZwxPV4ZB>
   - Subscribe to our blog *The Only
Democracy?*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4F1HbpkjIc5nlY9GtVtDaDCeZwxPV4ZB>
   - *Click here to unsubscribe from our
emails*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=959CfJVlOxmHnstrP19i2TCeZwxPV4ZB>
   *.*
   - Contact us directly at Jewish Voice for Peace. 1611 Telegraph Avenue,
   Suite 550. Oakland, CA 94612 *510-465-1777* *info at jvp.org*

  **
[image: empowered by Salsa] <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>

--