[Peace-discuss] MillerComm Todd Gitlin presentation on Social Media, Feb. 7

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jan 10 22:27:28 UTC 2013

It's been easy for years not to endorse Gitlin's views on anything. Here the late Alex Cockburn does it without effort in 2002:

'Todd Gitlin has made a career out of issuing advisories about the "hard
left", the "Old Left" and other. Though Gitlin usually pretends that
he's trying to counsel the left towards improved conduct under the
Gitlin Seal of Approval, I don't think he has much interest in the left,
as anything other than raw material for his unctuous punditry.

'In a recent Mother Jones Gitlin reports that at a rally outside the UN
he spotted placards saying "No Sanctions, No Bombing". Snappy, you say.
Exactly the message a peace movement might want to get across. Gitlin
disagrees. His preferred placard would be the most heavily footnoted
text since Lynn White Jr's history of the stirrup. Like Cooper, Gitlin
craves for respectability which means that he wants the placard to make
it clear that (a) Saddam bears responsibility for his country's plight,
(b), the bombings of Iraq since 1991 by the US (tactfully described by
Gitlin, echoing the DoD, as "no fly zone sorties") are okay. Tough
placard to design, and pretty heavy, if you factor in the square footage
required for Gitlin's text."

See also, from the same era, <http://www.counterpunch.org/2003/06/20/todd-gitlin-s-condescending-screed/>.

--CGE