[Peace-discuss] Letter to the N-G

Brussel, Morton K brussel at illinois.edu
Thu Jan 17 20:56:44 UTC 2013

This is the letter that appeared in the News-Gazette of 1/14/2013

It was entitled by the editors Eliminate benefits for military vets. I must say that they made a few changes in my text which were beneficial.

The N-G recently headlined the problems of veterans with respect to college tuition, the GI bill, and admissions policies.
 I would like readers to reflect upon the constant glorification of veterans and the rewards bestowed on them:
 Were it not for recruiting enticements, we would have fewer wars, a stronger economy, and a more fair society. We would have had no Iraq war, no war in Afghanistan, no threatened war on Iran. We would not have innumerable military bases around the world. We would not have an interminable so-called war on terror that sacrifices our freedoms.
 Although not wholly responsible, veterans have made possible these noxious effects on our society and other societies. Not since WWII have they defended our country.
 Rather, the military that they embody has contributed to our nation’s decline and the misery of others. Those benefitting most from the lionizing of veterans, aside from the veterans themselves, belong to the military- industrial complex and its dependencies.
 That said, I have no animus against any particular veteran—they have to a large extent been misled by their innocence, swindled by enticements and found no other outlets to their vulnerable situations. On the whole, they have not contributed to making our nation better.
 It might be better today if the GI Bill were abolished.

--mkb