[Peace-discuss] Saturday morning: visit AWARE at Lincoln Square middle market

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 07:07:48 UTC 2013

This year, there's a one-Saturday-per-month indoor market in Lincoln
Square, and AWARE will be there, to talk about war and peace with
whoever may pass by.

The first one is *this Saturday, the 19th, from 8 AM until 1 PM*. Please
come by if you have a chance.
We're in the broad south hallway, about midway along the eastern side -
in front of the old 88 Broadway bar area.

We'll have flyers - and can include copies of recent articles.  Any
suggestions?

(We probably won't be able to sell our usual bumper stickers etc., as
they weren't Illinois-made, a rule that the market people seem to be
enforcing these days.)

It's tempting to put together some sort of poster.   I wonder if we can
make one based on Zero Dark Thirty, maybe drawing from Naomi Wolf's
article -
http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/15403-zero-dark-thirtys-torture-lie

"Your film Zero Dark Thirty is a huge hit here. But in falsely
justifying, in scene after scene, the torture of detainees in "the
global war on terror", Zero Dark Thirty is a gorgeously-shot, two-hour
ad for keeping intelligence agents who committed crimes against
Guantánamo prisoners out of jail. It makes heroes and heroines out of
people who committed violent crimes against other people based on their
race - something that has historical precedent.

Your film claims, in many scenes, that CIA torture was redeemed by the
"information" it "secured", information that, according to your script,
led to Bin Laden's capture. This narrative is a form of manufacture of
innocence to mask a great crime: what your script blithely calls "the
detainee program".  [...]