[Peace-discuss] Organize!

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 16:38:09 UTC 2013

The average person thinks of self-defense as someone entering our home
and attacking us... and we have the right to defend ourselves against
such an invasion.

A few days ago, a friend of mine (Latino) had his house and computers
searched by officials without a warrant: officials as in a group of
FBI, Immigration (my friend is a US citizen), and local police.

If my friend had pulled a gun and shot these invaders, would that have
been self-defense? No. There is a power differential. So, the group of
invaders would have shot my friend claiming self-defense, and the
invaders would have been supported by the court system.

If "legal" is the same as "just", it has the very distinct feeling of
the power holder being able to legally do whatever he wants and
calling it both legal and just.

-karen